There are hundreds and thousands of ways to grow your business. Plenty of forms of marketing are executed through different communication channels. But as a business owner or marketer how can you find an effective method to grow your business which reaps quick results?
It is email marketing!
It is one of the most popular ways to grow any business, and several brands are already getting successful results from it. You can engage your audience through emails and increase your potential customer base.
According to stats, in 2020, 360 billion-plus emails were sent per day. Some people state that email marketing will soon fade away. But every year, the number of people using this keeps increasing.
But most people don’t even know how they can use it. Due to this, they quickly give up on this marketing technique.
However, you don’t have to face this problem!
Because I’m going to share a comprehensive guide with you that includes email marketing tips and how you can 10x your email marketing efforts.
What Is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. One of the primary reasons most businesses use it is that it’s less expensive than other marketing strategies. You can use it to;
- Educate customers
- Engage with them
- Sell in a better way
It can easily fit into your digital marketing strategy. You can leverage your business, and it can increase your sales and customers. Moreover, it also increases customer loyalty. There are tons of benefits of email marketing which we will discuss later in this article.
History Of Email Marketing
In 1971 a lot of new things were happening. But there are three things which gained the most attention of people. Here is a list of them.
- In the USA, the voting age was decreased to 18 years
- Famous Walt Disney Park was opened
- The first email was sent.
Like the first telegraph or call, the first email also gained much attention. It was a historic moment that revolutionized the way businesses and people communicate. The message in the email wasn’t well put the text was;
“something like QWERTYUIOP.”
A computer engineer by the name of Ray Tomlinson sent this email to himself as a test message. In the 90s, when the internet was available to everyone, marketers loved this mode of communication.
However, soon the inboxes of people started filling up with spam emails that ended up in spam folders. The government stepped in and made some regulatory rules. With these rules and regulations, communication became easier.
Email Marketing Terms You Need To Know
One major thing about learning anything new is learning. Whether it’s a marketing technique, writing a book, or programming language. You should first familiarize yourself with basic terms and complex jargon. Here are some terms you need to know:
- Open Rate: The percentage of people or recipients who open an email is a key metric in determining the success of an email campaign. It provides insight into the email subject line’s effectiveness and the overall content.
- Conversion Rate: The conversion rate is the number of recipients who take the desired action after clicking on a link in an email. It helps marketers determine the ROI of their efforts.
- Bounce Rate: The bounce rate is the percentage of emails not successfully delivered to the recipient’s inbox. Keeping the bounce rate low ensures your messages reach their intended audience.
- Unsubscribe Rate: The unsubscribe rate is for recipients who opt out of receiving future emails. They are generally inactive subscribers. While it’s never pleasant to see a newsletter subscriber, unsubscribe, respecting their wishes and keeping your email list clean is important.
- A/B Testing: A/B testing involves sending two versions of an email to different segments of your audience. It determines which version is more effective.
- Call-to-Action (CTA): The call-to-action is a critical component of any email campaign. The button or link prompts the recipient to take a specific action, such as making a purchase or registering for an event.
- Segmentation: Segmenting your email list includes dividing it into smaller groups based on specific criteria. It’s an effective way to tailor your messages to the interests and needs of each segment.
- Personalization: Personalizing your emails involves tailoring them to your audience’s interests and behaviors. In this age, creating a personalized message for your audience is important.
- Automation: Email automation involves using email marketing software to send emails automatically. It is based on specific triggers, such as a potential subscriber or an abandoned cart. It’s an excellent way to save time and send bulk emails per day.
- Spam: Spam is an unsolicited email that’s sent to a large number of recipients without their consent. It’s essential to avoid spamming your audience to maintain a positive reputation. It ensures that your messages are delivered to the intended recipients.
How Does Email Marketing Work?
Now that you know what email marketing is. It’s time to learn the complete framework of how email marketing works. You can start sending emails by just following these simple three steps.
Step 1: Make a Detailed List
First, you should always remember that you can’t email anyone. You need to have their consent to send emails. But how can you do that? What’s the best way to build an email list from scratch? Here are some of the easiest ways you can do it!
- Make a subscriber contact form on your Facebook group or website.
- Share a sign-up email link on your social media platforms.
- Create ads targeting your audience to increase email subscribers.
Step 2: Use Email Marketing Tools
There are a lot of tools through which you can make your email marketing process much smoother. You can use it to segment your audience, generate email templates, send detailed reports, and more. Here are some of the most used email marketing platforms;
- Klaviyo: It is a Shopify email marketing integration tool. You can access many advanced features such as email segmentation, analytics, improving your marketing emails, and much more.
- Mailchimp: It is the top choice of most marketers because it’s more like an all-rounder tool. It’s easy to use, and even the free version has many powerful features.
- Active Campaign: This is a perfect tool for your campaign if you want to automate the entire email marketing process.
Step 3: Increase Your List Of Subscribers
You are sending emails to people, but what’s next? How will you ensure they click on your emails and take further action? In this case, you must ensure your email is sent to high-quality subscribers.
Here are 3 ways I used to grow my client’s email list from 100 subscribers to 10k in just 6 months. Here’s what you should do;
- Focus on adding value to visitors of your website. Create high-quality and valuable content on your website and use a pop-up on the website or subscriber box.
- When a client purchases from your website, collect their emails. And now they will become your subscriber.
- Don’t hesitate to get their emails if you have a regular walk-in store. There is a high chance they visited your store because they liked your services or products. Encourage them to sign up for your emails.
In short, keep your subscribers excited and curious. Don’t just tell them. Show them how much you value them as a subscriber. Other than that, you can also use these strategies to grow your list;
- Create a free mock-up, resource, or tool in exchange for their emails.
- Use social media such as Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to attract more customers.
- Give a limited offer discount on your specific offer that requires a sign-up.
- Add QR codes to your business card and display them to make sign-up easier.
- Start a campaign
Types Of Email Marketing
If you have read about email marketing. Then congratulations, you are a step closer to launching a successful email marketing campaign. But wait, there’s more that you must know!
There are different email types. So before starting a campaign, you should choose a suitable email type that aligns with your business goals. Here are a few that you should consider.
Suppose you’re throwing a party, and the first guest arrives. You greet them with words or gifts. That’s exactly what a welcome email is. It is your chance to greet and make a great impression on a new subscriber.
In this email, you can introduce your brand and entice them with a compelling call to action to take the next step.
You might have a close friend whom you meet every week. You catch up on the latest news and gossip and share exciting updates. Well, that’s what email newsletters are all about!
They’re like your regular get-togethers but in the virtual world. You can send them daily, weekly, monthly, or on a schedule that suits your audience. These emails keep your subscribers in the loop with a delightful mix of curated exclusive content, company news, and must-know product information.
Promotional emails are your secret weapon to showcase your products or services and inspire action. Think of them as the energizer bunnies of your email marketing strategy.
They are designed to grab attention, ignite desire, and compel recipients to take action. You can add the following;
- A killer call-to-action
- Irresistible incentives
- Discounts or free trials
By offering a premium thing, you’ll have customers lining up to take action.
Abandoned Cart Emails
Do you know that feeling when you’re browsing online, adding items to your cart, and then getting distracted by a random post? Abandoned cart emails are specially made to save time and money.
These clever emails nudge customers who left their carts hanging. It reminds them of what they’ve left behind. With a friendly reminder, a tempting discount code.
We all have those subscribers who have disappeared into thin air. But not anymore, because re-engagement emails will solve this problem. They are like reaching out to an old friend and saying, “Hey, we miss you! Come back, and let’s have some fun!” These emails are packed with;
- Special offers
- Invitations to update email preferences
- Gentle reminders of the fantastic benefits your product or service offers.
Thank You Emails
These emails are your chance to express sincere appreciation after a customer makes a purchase or takes another desired action. It’s like sending a virtual hug and saying, “You’re amazing, and we’re thrilled to have you!”
These emails go the extra mile with a heartfelt thank you message, such as
- An enticing call to action to encourage further engagement
- Maybe even a friendly request for feedback or a five-star review.
Whether you’re hosting a star-studded webinar, an industry conference, or a grand product launch, these emails are your VIP passes to an unforgettable experience.
You’ll entice recipients with event details. Provide them with easy registration information. Lastly, urge them to mark their calendars with a compelling call to action.
They are not just a means of collecting feedback. They are a powerful tool for understanding your subscribers and customers more deeply. You invite your audience to share their thoughts by sending out well-crafted survey emails.
It makes them feel valued and heard. Remember to keep your surveys concise and engaging. The insights gained from these surveys can help you refine your;
- Improve customer experience
- Build a strong connection with your audience
These emails provide the perfect opportunity to show your subscribers or customers appreciation. Your audience helped you reach a significant point with your brand.
Whether it’s their
- First purchase
- Any other milestone
- A year of being a loyal customer
Milestone emails allow you to express gratitude, offer special rewards, and engage your audience. Remember to infuse these emails with genuine warmth. Make the recipient feel like an integral part of your community.
7 Highly Effective Email Marketing Strategies
Many things are going on in an email marketing strategy. You can increase your leads and chances of them acting on your CTA by nurturing your leads. It gives you a chance to increase opportunities, sales, and brand reputation.
But how can you achieve it? Especially when time is little, and competition keeps increasing every day?
Here are 7 strategies that I’ve used which are highly effective in increasing the results of your email marketing campaign.
1# Make A Proper Email Address
It’s best to use your brand domain as an email address. It helps the audience identify your brand. Another advantage of this is your email won’t look spammy. So email service providers like;
They won’t blacklist your email. You should also add your first name to the email address. Furthermore, you should add info or no reply to personalize your email even more. Here are some good examples;
2# Make Personalized Campaigns
You should understand your audience first and then segment them. It is extremely helpful in increasing the ROI of your email marketing campaign.
Confused about how to do it? Let’s understand it with an example!
While making a campaign to promote your product or service, you should choose promotional emails. You should segment your audience based on these factors;
It is a crucial step. If you execute it correctly, you will see a significant increase in sales.
3# Understand Your Customers Journey Map
It is about how well you know your customers. Are they just scrolling to find a suitable product? Do they want to purchase the products immediately? Did they add a product to the cart?
All these questions will help you understand where your customer is in the sales funnel.
After comprehensively studying them, you can send a personalized email. An email that nudges them to make a purchase.
4# Your Words Aren’t Enough
It is the biggest mistake many companies are making. They tell their audience how good their product is without evidence or proof. You have to show your audience how your solution can solve their problem.
It’s possible you might have an excellent product or service. You already know everything is perfect, but your customers don’t. Make an engaging copy that won’t be beneficial for your client but also for your audience.
A good copy can sell anything!
5# Give Them A Clear Direction
Your email shouldn’t confuse the reader. End it with a compelling CTA. But how can you do it?
Setting a clear goal for your email!
You might want the outcome to be different such as;
- Click on sign up link to an offer
- Purchase product or service
- Avail limited time offer
- Be a part of the giveaway
So it’s important to ensure your CTAs aren’t boring and grab the reader’s attention. Don’t make it long as if it’s a novel. Make it short, sweet, and simple.
6# Don’t Forget To Use Lead Magnets
It is a free item, resource, tool, or service you give your customers. However, it’s in exchange for their contact list. Many businesses actively use lead magnets to build a high-quality email list. They are great for several purposes, such as;
- Making sales
- Building relationships
- Gathering emails and phone numbers
There are many types of lead magnets people use. Some of them are newsletters, books, free-of-cost consultations, subscriptions, etc.
7# Find The Perfect Time
Timing is the biggest factor that greatly affects your email marketing campaign. It has a direct effect on your;
- Conversions rate
- Engagement rate
- Opening rate
But how can you find a suitable time to send your emails?
You have to do A tests. It will help you gather essential information for future campaigns as well.
According to a study conducted by GetResponse, emails sent on Tuesday have the highest click-through rates. So make sure to add this important thing to your email marketing plan.
Benefits Of Email Marketing
You might be wondering if it’s still worth it. Suppose you have any doubts in your mind. Then this list of email marketing benefits will eliminate all of the confusion in your head.
- Easy sharing and virality: It is simple for recipients to share your email content with others. With just a click of a button, they can forward your email to friends, family, or colleagues who might find it valuable. This viral potential expands your reach organically. It allows your message to reach new audiences without additional effort.
- Forge connections with your target audience: Here’s a little-known secret: email marketing can do wonders for expanding your professional network. Inform your subscribers about upcoming events in which your business will participate. Extend invitations to industry influencers and their followers, leveraging their influence to amplify your brand’s reach and create invaluable connections.
- Expanding your reach: Email marketing offers a golden opportunity to reach a wider audience. By enticing individuals to sign up. And here’s the best part: even if you don’t have a website, you can still connect with a broader target audience through email marketing.
- Building lasting brand awareness: Ever come across the terms “Samsung People” or “Apple People”? These brands have achieved iconic status. They have masterfully cultivated brand awareness through various means. It includes branding, advertising, social media campaigns, and, yes, you guessed it, email marketing.
- Cost-Effective: It is incredibly cost-effective compared to traditional marketing channels. With minimal email design, copywriting, and delivery expenses, you can reach a large audience without breaking the bank. It’s a budget-friendly way to promote your products and services. Meanwhile, you are still generating a significant return on investment.
Drive Sales and Connect with Expert Level Email Marketing
Many businesses have gone from zero to thousands and even more by accurately implementing email marketing. Because it’s not only a way to increase sales but also connect with the audience.
However, even after consuming a lot of relevant content, people make many terrible mistakes in email marketing. These disastrous mistakes turn out to be the end of companies that could have been Fortune 500.
But with the help of EchoFish, you don’t have to worry about a single thing. We will assist you in the journey and provide expert-level, results-driven effective campaigns.
I'm a very hard-working, motivated, and committed individual with a positive attitude towards life and a passion for doing new things that help people.I love challenges in my career because they make you more robust than before when you overcome them.