Social media is expanding at an incredibly fast pace. We are introduced to new algorithms, applications, devices, and platforms almost every day. And we already have many social media platforms. Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, Reddit, and the list goes on and on.
And no one was expecting a new platform. Until mid-2023 when Mark Zuckerberg surprised everyone. The owner of Facebook launched Threads. And no one was ready for it. The most intriguing part is that Mark branded Threads as a competitor of Twitter(now known as X).
Can you guess how in how many days this platform had 100 million users?
According to stats, in just the first three days, it crossed 100 million users. The number of active users on the platform keeps increasing.
It’s not surprising to see a social media platform grow at this pace. Because chatGPT has already done it in the past. ChatGPT blew up so incredibly that in less than a week after launch, it crossed 1 million users.
But Mark’s latest app did it in just 3 days. However, does that mean you should stop using Twitter? Or is it the end of Elon Musk’s Twitter empire?
Keep reading because, in this article, you’ll know everything about the rivalry between Twitter and Threads. Let’s dive in.
What Is Twitter?
Twitter is a social media platform created by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams in March 2006. It was officially launched in July for the public.
On this platform, users can engage with the audience and expand their networks. However, the posts on this platform have a special name. They are known as “Tweets.”
You can post tweets with around 4,000 characters and even more. Twitter is used for a variety of purposes, including personal communication, sharing news and updates, networking, and marketing. To increase aesthetic appeal and engage deeply with your audience, you can tweet with the following;
This makes Twitter experience more enjoyable. That’s why while using it, you get hooked and don’t even realize you’ve spent hours on the platform while scrolling mindlessly.
Key Features of Twitter X
After Elon Musk took over, Twitter has seen a significant increase in users. He has made several changes to the platform, which indirectly helped the platform grow.
These are some of the key features of this platform that you should know. It’ll help you get a better insight into this social media platform.
- Following: Users can follow your account to get notifications of their tweets. Similarly, your followers will get updates on your tweets and engagement.
- Retweets: You already know what a tweet is; however, what’s a retweet? If a person likes your post, they can share it with their followers, increasing your reach. It’s similar to reposting a post on LinkedIn.
- Hashtags: They are an important factor in growing your account on Twitter. If you’re a travel influencer, use hashtags like travel or city name. They are a great way to position yourself as an expert in the industry.
- Trending Topics: This platform shows popular hashtags and topics that are trending. However, these topics vary based on the geographical location of a country. Such as K-pop might be trending in South Korea, but it doesn’t mean this hashtag is also trending worldwide.
- Lists: This is an incredible feature of Twitter. It allows you to create lists to organize accounts and categorize them easily. It’s usually based on your interests.
What Are Instagram Threads?
“Instagram Threads” refers to a standalone messaging app developed by Facebook, the parent company of Instagram. Threads was designed to provide a more focused and intimate way for users to communicate with their close friends on Instagram.
We all know that Threads was launched in 2023. But the backend and all the processes started much before 2018. Surprising right?
Instagram first introduced the “Close Friends” feature in late 2018. It was a simple feature that allowed users to share their posts with specific people. On October 3, 2019, it was officially launched.
It wasn’t available exclusively on Chrome. It was a simple extension of the Close Friends feature on the main Instagram app. But in 2023, this became a separate app, specifically for the purpose of connecting people similar to microblogging sites.
Key Features of Instagram Threads
Instagram Threads is a new app, and many improvements are still needed. However, some notable key features of this app make it stand out. Some of these are as below;
- Notifications: Usually, whenever you follow someone, you get a notification of their reels, posts, and every single activity. But Threads allows you to customize notifications and updates you want to receive from specific people. It decreases all the distractions and unnecessary noise.
- Status Updates: It’s best for those who want to share their current status immediately. You can update your status on this platform with many inbuilt statuses like “at home,” etc.
- Photo & Video Sharing: This app emphasizes visual appeal a lot. That’s why everything from design to sharing media is much more focused on providing a better visual experience to users.
- Messaging: The app’s interface makes sending messages to close friends easier. Also, you can send images, texts, emojis, and other media during private conversations.
So Should You Delete Twitter Account & Use Instagram Threads?
In the past few days, many people have asked this question. Marketers are especially perplexed about this latest platform. Remember that to grow at Threads, you need to ask yourself these questions;
- Is your audience available on the platform?
- What’s the engagement rate?
- Can you increase your customer base using this platform?
Instagram Threads is a new platform; however, the engagement rate is incredibly high because the number of people downloading apps and using them actively is increasing.
- Which means new opportunities
- Chances to reach large audiences
If you’ve more followers, your post impressions will ultimately increase. But we can say the same thing about Twitter as well.
In a nutshell, Instagram Threads is a growing platform with endless opportunities for everyone. It’s highly recommended to try it, especially if you’re a business owner.
But deleting Twitter isn’t wise because it is here to stay, especially after Elon Musk rebranded it to X. More changes and updates are expected on the platform, meaning better competition and a better user experience.
Difference Between Twitter X & Instagram Threads
The main part of today’s article is the difference between social media platforms. Here are the main key differences that you need to know.
|Text-based microblogging platform
|Visual-based microblogging platform
|Limited to 280 characters later on increased to 4,000 (text, media)
|Multimedia-rich (photos, videos, text)
|Real-time vs. Curation
|Emphasizes real-time updates and news
|Emphasizes curation and storytelling
|Offers both algorithmic and chronological feed
|Presents content based on user behavior
|Handles misinformation and user reports
|Moderates content to combat harassment
|Likes, retweets, replies, and shares
|Likes, comments, reactions, shares
|You need to pay for checkmarks(account verification)
|No fee to use or add any checkmark
|All unverified accounts can only view 600 tweets per day which are later increased to 1000
|Provides privacy measures for users
Related: LinkedIn Ads VS Facebook Ads
Which Platform Is Best For You?
Now you know everything about these amazing social media platforms. But which one is best for you?
Elon Musk’s Twitter or Mark Zuckerberg’s Threads?
Don’t worry. In this guide, you’ll learn which platform is most suitable for you.
What Do You Want To Achieve?
You need to identify your needs and your business goals. Let’s start from scratch. Ask yourself why you are using a specific social media platform.
- Do you want to build a personal brand?
- Maybe you just want to connect with your family and relatives.
- Or you want to promote your business to a wider audience.
By clearly defining your goals, you can get a clear idea of which platform is suitable for you.
If you want to grow your business related to tech, and coding, then Twitter is a better option. However, threads are best for influencers, coaches, and people who want to share their moments.
Analyze Your Content Type
Consider the type of content you love to share with your audience. But what does it mean?
If you like sharing carousels, videos, and visually heavy content, then Instagram Threads is a better fit.
Meanwhile, Twitter is primarily focused on text-based content. So if you like sharing insights, tips, and personal experiences, choose Elon Musk’s app. Moreover, it’s the best option for camera-shy people.
Find Your Target Audience
It’s the most crucial part of finding a suitable platform. Suppose you’re an e-commerce brand selling high-quality sneakers. So you create a company account on LinkedIn and post consistently for months.
But the result is disappointing.
Why? Because you don’t know where your target audience is.
So do research and find where your audience is active. You can find it by following these 3 simple steps.
- Where are your competitors actively posting?
- What is their engagement status?
- What’s their growth rate on that platform?
By finding answers to these questions, you’ll likely find a platform suitable for your business growth.
Instagram threads are better if you like visual storytelling. On the other hand, the majority of the audience on Twitter appreciates real-time updates.
Explore All The Features
Before posting or making a strategy, it’s important to understand how a platform works. I’ve already mentioned some of the key features of both platforms above.
But that’s not all!
Find more about tips to grow on the platform. Think about which features align best with your content and communication preferences.
Closely Look At Privacy & Sharing Preferences
Not everyone is comfortable in being open about themselves. So you should ask yourself;
- Do I want my content to be public?
- Should I share my content with only selective people?
You should share your content publicly if you’re a business owner because it’ll increase opportunities for your business.
If you have a personal account for sharing images and videos, then Instagram Threads is perfect. On the other hand, if you are comfortable with a more public approach, Twitter’s openness might suit you.
Regularly Monitor Engagement Metrics
Engagement Metrics are one of the most important things for any social media account. But what are they?
Engagement metrics are key points through which you can monitor the growth of your account. They are different on various platforms. Here are the engagement metrics of platforms.
- Threads: likes, comments, reactions
- Twitter: likes, retweets, replies, shares
However, ultimately the goal of businesses is to generate high-quality leads. It’s up to you how you decide to measure those metrics. Make a list of metrics that align with your ultimate goal and strategize on how you can improve them.
Can I Use Both Platforms?
Yes, you can use both platforms. Around 93% of marketers use social media platforms to skyrocket business growth. See which platform is more enjoyable for you.
- Where do you want to engage with others?
- Which platform feels more intuitive?
Ask yourself these questions to know yourself better and make better decisions for your business.
You should read reviews of people active on both social media platforms. Check their preferences, experiences and see what you can do to make your experience better.
I recommend having a trial period.
Set a specific time limit of at least 3-6 months. Post content for this trial period on the platform, engage with others, and, most importantly:
By the end of this trial period, you’ll know whether a platform is well-suited for you.
Now comes the most crucial part, which is making decisions. It is based on your;
Check how it aligns with your goals and preferences.
Remember, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. You can always use both platforms simultaneously if they serve different purposes. The key is to find a platform that enhances your social media experience and aligns with your objectives.
Twitter Or Threads: Maximize Social Media Impact
At first glance, these platforms may look similar. However, their advantages vary greatly, which makes them distinguish from each other. Twitter is a text-driven app, whereas Threads incorporates various media. Some of the advantages of this app are;
- Provides instant news and trending topics.
- Connect with diverse individuals, influencers, and brands.
- Quick and concise communication with a 280-character limit which is now exceeded to 4000 characters now.
- Easy content discovery and participation in discussions.
- Go-to platform for real-time reporting and discussions.
Meanwhile, the benefits of using Threads, the fastest-growing app, are.
- Ideal for multimedia-rich content like photos and videos.
- Emphasizes presenting stories in a polished manner.
- Automatically updates your status based on activity.
- Great for fostering personal relationships.
Disadvantages Of Using Twitter & Threads
No doubt these platforms have incredible importance. But it’s important to know your weaknesses to make the right decision for your business.
- The real-time nature of this platform can lead to an overwhelming amount of content. This makes it challenging to stay up-to-date with relevant information.
- Twitter is known for its openness, which can expose users to trolling and online harassment.
Some of the disadvantages of Threads are:
- Sharing similar content with different close friends may lead to repetitive updates, reducing the variety of your stories.
- The success of your content engagement relies on your close friends’ activity, which may vary and affect reach.
It doesn’t matter if metrics indicate that Twitter has more engagement than Threads or vice versa because most people post similar content on both platforms.
So if you plan to make content for your platform, you don’t need to worry a lot because the same content can be posted on the app. It’ll eventually lead to increased engagement, and your brand will keep winning.
EchoFish is an experienced digital marketing agency where we help people expand their business in record time. Contact us right now. We are just one call away.
I'm a very hard-working, motivated, and committed individual with a positive attitude towards life and a passion for doing new things that help people.I love challenges in my career because they make you more robust than before when you overcome them.